Project or miscellaneous

I originally titled this entry as 'Project or random' but realised that many images are not random but premeditated, however they are not part of a project per se.

Do you like to take your images as part of a defined project that will at some stage reach a conclusion, or are they taken when you see something you like?
The travel photographer takes his images as part of a loose project to depict the area he is visiting. This to me is still a project, but not as tight a one as the travel photographer who goes to photograph the churches in a capitol city for instance.
Often a landscape photographer takes an images that is preconceived but not part of a project.

I do  all three:
What I call miscellaneous - often spontaneous or planned in a area but not necessarily fitting into any project or image grouping.

Cornelian shore
Taken on a trip to Cornelian Bay just outside Scarborough. I went here with no preconceived ideas of an image although I had been many times before. I did know that if I took a shot it would be of the sea or it's interface with the land, but I have been here on several occasions and not had any inspiration to take an image, but just drunk in the atmosphere and enjoyed the isolation and the soporific effect of the sea itself.


The loose project - such as travel shots of a city, for example Rome that I have depicted in the last couple of posts.

Spanish Steps II
Nex 7 E18-55 at 18mm ISO 100 1/40 f10
Adobe Lightroom, CS5 and Nik Silver Efex Pro 2
This was taken as part of a trip to Rome where my photographic aim was to capture the essence of the city that I felt. This image was meant to portray the fact that anyone can sit and enjoy the world go by and on the Spanish Steps it was mostly the young or tourists, however this man was sat alone and to me showed that locals sit and enjoy the world going by too.

The project - I have a couple of these on the go at the moment. These are great if you are photographing in your local area. I have lived in the same place for the last 8 years and have photographed most of the local area and so now my photography is driven by a couple of local projects. One that is fairly well developed is a project depicting a group of local churches, called 'The Churches of the Buckrose Carrs'. I began with the idea and visited a couple of the sites before deciding how I was to take the project forward. I have been enthused since starting this set of images and pursued it whenever I can get to the churches, but not at times of services as I do not want people in the images. More on this project and how I set up my brief and carried it out when I pout the images on the website.

All Saint's Church, West Heslerton
D800E 16-35 at 16mm ISO100 30s f16
Adobe Lightroom, CS5 and Nik Silver Efex Pro 2


No comments: