Beach photography tips





I spend a lot of hours by the sea photographing the coast, usually taking long exposures. I am often asked for tips on my approach and how to do it. So Here are a few of the common tips I pass on.

1. Know the tides.
2. Know where the sun will be.
3. Make sure you have suitable footwear.
4. Have a bag that protects your gear from the sand and make sure the bag is put down well away from the surf and out of the range of the waves. Remember the rogue wave. Rucksacs/backpacks can be a problem as you can get coved in wet sand. The Lowepro Flipsides are good to prevent this or use a shoulder bag.



5. Use flat feet for your tripod or rest the legs on pebbles. I usually do the latter as I forget the feet or do not want to carry them.
6. Watch the weather. I have been caught when I have been so engrossed in the scene and I got drowned by a rain storm. Beaches can be very isolated and have no protection. I always carry waterproofs in my bag, but even so it can be miserable.
7. Unless you want people, dogs or footprints go to isolated places, go very early or as the tide recedes.





No comments: