Dawn and coast erosion at Hunmanby Gap

I was present at dawn this morning at Hunmanby Gap on the North Yorkshire coast just south of Filey. I had remained close to home as I had ordered some new kit from one of the top UK photographic retailers with a large internet presence based on the east of the island and paid for it to be delivered on a Saturday. Waiting in all day I found out that Parcelforce could not find my house, despite the fact that they had the same address as usual and had delivered here many times before. The delivery services are so important to online sales as the image of the company one purchases from is damaged by the poor service that many of the couriers provide. Suffice to say I am considering purchasing from another company now that uses a different carrier and expect a refund of the extra money spent to get a Saturday delivery.

Back to the pleasures of life - Hunmanby Gap like most of the Yorkshire coast is collapsing. There has been a major collapse just beneath one of the churches in Whitby - easily seen from the pier and I have so far photographed cliff collapses in Filey and here. I have been documenting the erosion photographically for several years now.

Hunmanby Gap cliff erosion Jan 2013
Nikon D800E 16-35@16mm 3s@f11


Hunmanby Gap is usually quiet and has fewer dog walkers than many of the beaches in the area. Therefore one can do long exposures more easily and there are fewer footprints in the sand. At low tide there are many different natural beach features to use as foregrounds, including some coloured pebbles and stones. As I like calm muted colour sand  monochromes I concentrated today on the flow of water from a 'stream' through the sand.

Blue flow (Euterpe I)
Nikon D800E 16-35@16mm 191s@f11

No comments: